HR45 [aka the Blair Holt bill] is such a blatant attack on the Second Amendment, you would think it must be a hoax. But Snopes assures us otherwise:
In a nutshell, the Blair Holt bill would:
• Prohibit possession of any handguns or any semiautomatic firearms that can accept detachable ammunition-feeding devices (excluding antiques) by anyone who has not been issued a firearm license.
• Require all sales of those types of firearms to go through licensed dealers.
• Direct the Attorney General to establish and run a federal record-of-sale system.
• Require the possessors of firearms to secure them (by secure gun storage or safety devices) when they are kept in locales where children might be capable of gaining access to those firearms.
In order to be issued a firearm license under the provisions of the Blair Holt legislation, applicants would be required to submit the following information to the Attorney General:
1. a current, passport-sized photograph of the applicant that provides a clear, accurate likeness of the applicant
2. the name, address, and date and place of birth of the applicant
7. a certificate attesting to the completion at the time of application of a written firearms examination, which shall test the knowledge and ability of the applicant regarding: […blah blah blah…] any other subjects, as the Attorney General determines to be appropriate […blah blah blah et cetera]
It goes on, making crystal clear that federal bureaucrats do not want you to exercise your constitutional right to own a gun.
Needless to say, no provision of this bill will affect criminals, who do not obtain firearms through legitimate channels, or bog themselves down with legal requirements. But the bill does serve a purpose beyond bureaucratic harassment. As the recent Tea Parties made clear, this government is already pushing the farthest limits of what the public will tolerate. It needs to keep very close tabs on where all the guns are, the better to confiscate them in the near future.
The bill is sponsored by a guy who ought to know something about firearms, despite having gone AWOL from the US Army: Bobby Rush, a Congressman who used to be "deputy defense minister" for the Illinois chapter of the anti-Caucasian Marxist cult known as the Black Panthers. He served 6 months on an illegal weapons charge in 1969, the heyday of the ideology that is now being imposed from Washington.
To quote Rush himself on his intentions:
Ultimately, I would like to see the manufacture and possession of handguns banned … that's the endgame.
He's also a major proponent of "reparations" to blacks. But he's wise to want to take our guns away first before moving forward with more race-based wealth transfers.
As for the long-term objectives of Rush et al., his recent hajj to Cuba, where he and other Congresscreeps kissed communist dictator Fidel Castro's ring and came back praising him, gives a good idea of the direction in which disarmed Americans will be herded.
Battle of Long Tan
13 minutes ago